Thursday, March 12, 2015

Supplying Teachers, Helping Students


Supplying Teachers, 

Helping Students


My project focuses on OASD teachers having to spend their 
own money to buy supplies for their classrooms due to the decline in school budgets.  Wisconsin was 43rd out of 50 states when it came to percentage changes in educational funding. With less money being given to the school districts, teachers have to pay more to fill the gap. Teachers in Oshkosh spend on average $500 to $1200 a year from the money they earn to buy supplies for their classrooms, many of which are basic supplies like pencils and paper. Without the proper supplies, it makes it difficult for teachers to do their job and provide students with the best education possible.
Pole Decorating at the Oshkosh Public Museum

I am partnering with The Teachers’ Closet, a non-profit organization that provides teachers with free supplies. I will be advocating for teachers by sending a letter to Wisconsin officials about ending budget cuts to Wisconsin’s education. I have already performed a few services to The Teachers’ Closet. I volunteered on behalf of The Teachers’ Closet at the Celebration of Lights and I made a 6 foot tall pencil out of duct work for their entry at the Oshkosh Public Museum Pole Decorating Contest. 
In addition, I will be running a philanthropy campaign in the form of a donation drive at the Oshkosh Saturday Farmer’s Market gathering supplies and raising awareness for the 
Oshkosh teachers. I’ll see you at the Oshkosh Saturday Farmer’s Market on March 14th and I will be accepting donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment